Job Title: Carpenter
Employment Type: Full time
Job Description: Wilmington College is seeking candidates for a Carpenter in our Physical Plant group on the main campus. This is a full time, non-exempt position.
The Carpenter provides quality carpentry skills and craftsmanship on building construction jobs from foundation to rooftop. Performs work from minor repairs to design and remodeling, including providing cost estimates and managing a wide range of building projects. Responsibilities include:
- Applies design and finish carpentry skills to many projects that may include installation of cabinetry and laminated countertops, shelving, baseboards, cabinets, laminating doors, paneling, etc. This involves selecting materials, providing estimates, purchasing materials after approval, assembly and applying any finish.
- Completes rough carpentry projects such as building dumpster enclosures, installing shingles, framing walls, installing drywall, and building floors in accordance with local building codes.
- Acts as liaison with vendors on remodels and new construction, inspecting vendor quality and assessing performance.
- Installs ceiling systems of all types, including textured plaster ceilings, drywall, and acoustical drop ceilings.
- Maintains all types of windows. Performs glass repair, cutting and sizing. Builds indoor/outdoor stationary windows. Installs trim, casing, sills, stools and jams.
- Tracks/expedites supplies as needed. Handles and processes job orders calling for basic repairs.
- Performs various types of basic labor on all college projects as well as room setups and moving offices.
- Assists with animal/pest control and operates forklift, snow removal equipment and tractor with bucket.
- Attends weekly and monthly meetings. Collaborates with other trades in the design of projects.
- Maintains clean and safe worksite both in the shop and at the job site. Ensures that all tools and work vehicles are operated properly and are safely maintained.
- Applies basic electrical knowledge to assist electricians as needed, changing outlets, ballast, etc.
- May assume responsibility for, or assist with, hardware orders and installation (including locks) in campus buildings, including organizing, cataloging, rekeying and maintaining lock integrity throughout campus.
- May assume responsibility for the installation, operation and maintenance of all electronic security (code entry) systems.
- May complete masonry projects, including repairing or pouring pads, sidewalks and vertical structures and laying or repairing block walls and other structures.
- May supervise student workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Wilmington College is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate unlawfully in employment matters on the basis of race, religion, gender, color, ancestry, national origin, age, disability or any other category protected by law. EOE
Wilmington College conducts background investigations including criminal, work history and credential confirmation on all employees as a condition of continued employment. Some positions may require additional motor vehicle record review and drug screening.
- High school diploma
- Two years of related experience in the skilled trades
- Strong experience in building trades including rough and finish carpentry
- Basic knowledge of electricity, plumbing, architectural hardware, plastic laminate work and dry wall finishing
- Willingness to perform all types of basic repairs and projects including snow removal as part of the maintenance team
- Ability to lift over 65 pounds, climb ladders, work on roofs and to work in small enclosed spaces
Business Name: Wilmington College
Business Address: 1870 Quaker Way Wilmington, OH 45177
Contact Name: Libby Hayes - Director of Human Resources
Contact Phone: 937-481-2282
Contact Email: Libby_hayes@wilmington.edu