Job Title: Medical Assistant
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Description: Under the direction of the Physician’s Office Supervisor, the Physician and the Director of Practice Management, performs a wide variety of clinical and front desk medical assistant duties in a fast paced office setting.
• Greets and accompanies patients to exam rooms; prepares patient for examinations and other procedures.
• Takes vital signs, height, weight and pertinent information and notes information in the patient’s chart for review and interpretation by the physician.
• Works with other staff and physician to ensure smooth patient flow.
• Documents all care, procedures and observations in accordance with office/hospital policy and procedures.
• Updates patient charts; checks charts prior to physician visit to see if all lab values, tests and x-rays are available.
• Answers patients’ telephone calls and questions daily and PRN: provides physician with call-back list.
• Gives injections/vaccinations upon order and under the direction of the physician.
• Obtains previous medical records using appropriate forms, and also, during patient transfers, sends appropriate records for consultation / procedures.
• Provides physician with assistance during special procedures and/or patient training.
• Calls patient prescriptions to the pharmacies at physician’s direction.
• Obtains prior authorization for prescriptions from insurance companies and/or pharmaceutical companies.
• Notifies patients regarding test results within 24 – 48 hours of reviewing results with physician.
• Performs waivered lab testing for routine procedures.
• Obtains and prepares cultures, blood, and urine specimens for delivery to reference laboratory for processing as required.
• Must demonstrate knowledge of cleaning, sterilization and maintenance of instruments. Has equipment inspected by authorized personnel as required.
• Assists with removal of sutures.
• Responsible for maintenance and documentation of sample medications inventory. Duties and Responsibilities (continued):
• Prepares documentation of sample pharmaceuticals inventory and submits inventory of sample medications on the first of each month to hospital pharmacy.
• Maintains log for accurate temperatures on all refrigerators.
• Maintains cleanliness of exam rooms and lab area.
• Orders and stocks supplies for exam rooms and lab.
• Must be neatly dressed, have a professional appearance and congenial personality.
• Keeps current on age specific information, continuing education and hospital policies and procedures.
• Maintains confidentiality at all times.
• Must have the knowledge to operate the following: blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, Hemacue, EKG, Accucheck, syringes, scales, vision chart, Welch Allen equipment, electronic thermometer, O2 therapy, computer, copy machine, telephone, calculator, fax machine, typewriter, electronic biller/scheduler and other office equipment.
• Must float to other physician’s offices as the need arises.
• Must be cross-trained for front desk duties as required by Physician’s Office Supervisor.
• Schedules patients for tests and/or appointments with specialists and completes appropriate referral forms upon request of the physicians.
• Pre-certifies patients with insurance companies for testing, i.e. MRI, etc.
• Provides patient education as requested by physician.
• Initiates ABN forms when needed.
• Performs all other related duties as requested by Physician’s Office Supervisor, Physician or Director of Practice Management
• Graduate of a Registered / Certified Medical Assistant or LPN program.
• Prefer a minimum of 2- 3 years experience as a medical assistant in a physician’s office or hospital setting. Knowledge of specific physician specialty helpful.
Business Address: 610 W. Main St. Wilmington, OH 45177
Contact Name: Deronda Kite
Contact Phone: 937-382-9265
Contact Email: email@example.com