Child Protection Unit- Screener
Department: Clinton County Job and Family Services – Child Protection Unit
Type: 1 Full-Time Position (40 hours/week)
Starting pay: $18.64 per hour
Probationary Period: 365 Days
Bargaining Unit Position: No
Classified or Unclassified: Classified
Exempt or Nonexempt: Nonexempt
Reports to: Child Protection Unit Supervisor
• Interviews individuals, by phone or in-person, making reports of child and elder abuse.
• Answers general questions as to what constitutes abuse, neglect, or dependency.
• Presents information gathered from reports in a non-biased, non-judgmental manner to CPU staff and supervisory staff so response/case decisions can be made.
• Documents all reports and information in SACWIS (State Automated Child Welfare Information System) .
• Able to have calm conversations about difficult topics.
• Obtains police, medical, school, or other reports of pertinent information.
• Refers families and referents to appropriate community resources.
• Communicates regularly with community partners, which may include law enforcement, school and court personnel, service providers, foster parents, and other mandated reporters.
• Communicates regularly with other Children Services agencies in Ohio and nationwide.
• Assists staff with gathering background information such as SACWIS checks, criminal history searches, and other resources available to the agency. Assists in coordinating the provision of agency services, redacts files for court review, performs agency record checks.
• Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual statistical reports as requested.
• Conducts Adult Protective investigations as needed.
• Attends meetings and trainings as requested.
• Maintains confidentiality of case and agency information. Comply with agency personnel policies and procedures. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
• Must be able to meet multiple deadlines, be highly adaptive to change, and have a strong work ethic, and basic knowledge of Microsoft Office programs. Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or 5 years of related work experience.
• Valid Ohio Driver’s License, required liability auto insurance, and reliable transportation.
• Background checks consistent with requirements as outlined in OAC 5101:2-5-09 must be
completed at employment and include, but are not limited to, the following:
o Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI)
o State Automated Child Welfare System (SACWIS)
o State Child Abuse/Neglect Central Registry Check for any state in which the applicant resided in the last 5 years
o National Sex Offender Public Website
o Bureau of Motor Vehicles
• Experience in child welfare, knowledge of SACWIS database
• Completion of 102 hours of Caseworker CORE training
• Motivational Interviewing
• Comfortable working with diverse populations
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Knowledge of ORC/OAC requirements
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references with current contact information to Amanda.Barrera@jfs.ohio.gov.
This job description is not intended to be construed as exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills. It not a contract of employment, express or implied. Job responsibilities may include other responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor, Department Head or Elected Official. Clinton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.